I believe deep within my spirit that God created us for incredible health & vitality and desires for us to look to nature to provide the resources for health & well-being. Our society has been trained to look first to man-made interventions and treatments.
However, I believe we honor and glorify Him by looking to His creation for the answers to our health goals. The more I study nature, nutrition, human physiology and biochemistry, etc. the more His majesty comes alive in my body, mind, & soul.
The world’s most powerful cancer fighting substances are found right under our nose in the form of natural plants, herbs, & spices. Some of the most potent of these include cruciferous veggies (such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, bok choy, collards, & turnip greens among others) contain a wide array of anti-carcinogenic compounds. Here are a few of them:
Cancer Destroying Nutrients:
1. Indole-3 Carbinol: A powerful antioxidant that scavenges free radicals in the body. It plays a very critical role in liver detoxification by inducing hepatic cytochrome P450 monooxygenases. This reaction affects estrogen metabolism by increasing the production of the chemoprotective estrogen 2-hydroxyestrone (1,2).
Additionally, it has been shown that I3C inhibits aflotoxin-DNA binding and arrests the G1 growth phase of cancerous human reproductive cells (3). It has also shown benefit in the treatment of Systemic Lupus, an autoimmune disease related to faulty estrogen metabolism (4).
2. Isothiocyanates: (Phenethyl Isothiocyanate & Sulforaphane) Shown to induce apoptosis (programmed cell death) in most cancer cells including drug-resistant leukemia cells. The p53 gene is considered the “guardian of the genome,” due to its role in regulating the cell cycle and suppressing cancer formation (4).
Increased levels of oxidative stress creates a mutation of the p53 gene which promotes cancer cell growth. Isothiocyanates have been shown to destroy mutantp53 genes (5, 6). Broccoli sprouts are considered the best source of these powerful compounds.
3. Lutein & Zeaxanthin: These 2 carotenoid anti-oxidants are very similar in chemistry and function. These 2 powerfully reduce oxidative stress, inhibitcancer cell formation, and induce cancer cell apoptosis (7, 8). These substances are found in abundance in kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, & broccoli.
- Eat More Cruciferous Veggies: Include a lot of cruciferous vegetables in your diet everyday.
- Juice Your Greens: Juice cancer fighting foods to get the most concentrated form of these powerful nutrients. Juicing helps to maximize nutrient absorption while liming stress on the digestive system. When their is less stress on the digestive system, the body is able to heal more effectively.
- Use Sprouts: Sprouts are the most nutrient dense. Use broccoli sproutsregularly.
- Lightly Cook Your Cruciferers: Steam or lightly boil these veggies to break down fibrous outer shell. I love to top them with grass-fed butter, which is rich in fat soluble vitamins such as lutein, retinol and conjugated linoleic acid, which have anti-cancer activity. Additionally, I recommend putting lemon juice or apple cider vinegar on afterwards to add anti-oxidants and begin thedigestive process and cover them with herbs like basil, oregano and thyme.
- Marinate Your Veggies if Eating Them Raw: Marinate your veggies in apple cider vinegar for 30-60+ minutes to soften them and maintain all essential nutrients in their raw form.
- Fermented Veggies: Consuming fermented cabbage recipes such as sauerkraut and kimchii is one of the best ways to get these cancer killing nutrients along with tons of live enzymes and probiotics into our bodies. Consume 1/4 cup of these daily and more if you are battling cancer or trying to detox from chemotherapy