NLP – Your owner’s manual for your brain
How would you like to learn a technique that could help you change your state fast? What if it was easy to do? Would you do it? Would it be useful to you to know how to do this easily? Your can change your state of mind or mood easily using the techniques of anchoring. This means you can, for example, stay calm and relaxed when you want to as well as get motivated, feel happy at will as well!
You do this by anchoring states of mind so you can fire the anchor and establish the state instantly.
Anchoring is reminiscent of Pavlov’s experiments with dogs. Pavlov sounded a bell as the animal was given food. The animals salivated when they saw the food. After some parings of the bell and the food, the bell alone elicited salivation.
Anchors are stimuli that call forth states of mind – thoughts and emotions. For example, touching a knuckle of the left hand could be an anchor. Some anchors are involuntary. So the smell of bread may take you back to your childhood. A tune may remind you of someone you love or someone you dislike. A touch can bring back memories and the past states. These anchors work automatically and you may not be aware of the triggers.
Establishing an anchor means producing the stimuli (the anchor) when the resourceful state is experienced so that the resourceful state is pared to the anchor. For example, touching the knuckle of the left hand when the resourceful state is experienced to pair the two events.
Activating or firing the anchor means producing the anchor after it has been conditioned so that the resourceful state occurs.For example, touching the knuckle of the left hand after the anchor has been established so that this action produced the resourceful state.
Automatic Unconscious Anchors – We are affected by anchors throughout our lives and go into a good mood or a bad one … feel motivated to do something as well as feel confident and resourceful or the opposite. We are responding to anchors, but we may not know what they are.
These anchors have been built up accidentally. In fact, we often think that our mood has nothing to do with us and that our moods occur by chance. NOT so…
Designing Anchors – You use them to produce the state of mind or mood you need for a given situation. You enter an interview calm and relaxed. You control your temper. You turn on the confidence or excitement you need to do a task., it is actually extremely easy to establish them!
You have all the resources you require to achieve whatever goal you want. This is a presupposition (assumption) of NLP
RESOURCE ANCHOR – You can recall any memories when you have experienced the required state. Recall them vividly and you recall the state. So you can recall any memories of being extremely calm and relaxed to get the resource for your anchor. You might recall being calm and relaxed on vacation, for example, YOU can also recall a time when you were happy, laughing, successful and motivated.
Recall a time when you were calm and relaxed. As you go back to that time now step into your body and you are seeing now what you see in the memory, hearing now what you heard in the memory, and feeling now, what you feel in the memory. Now as the state/feeling begins to rise press on your left knuckle, as it begins to fade releas
Even people who think they have no resourceful memory can find such a memory perhaps in a different context.
Types of Anchors
They can be visual, auditory or kinesthetic anchors…
- Decide on the state you want to anchor. For example being calm and relaxed.
- Choose an anchor (or anchors) that you wish to trigger the resourceful state.
- Recall a memory or imagine a situation where you can experience the state. So recall or imagine a time when you experienced the state.
- Active the anchor or anchors when the experience is vivid and you are in the desired state. (as the state begins to rise)
- Release the anchors when the experience begins to fade.If you keep applying the anchor when the experience is fading, then you will anchor a drop in calmness and relaxation!
- Do something else – open your eyes … count down from 10 to break state and distract yourself.
- Repeat the steps several times, each time making the memory more vivid. This is not actually required when the anchor is established at the high point of the experience. However, you can strengthen the anchor by establishing it at the high point of several such experiences.
- Apply the anchor and check that the required state occurs.
- Future pace the situation where you want to experience the desired state. Fire the anchor to check that it creates a sufficiently resourced state..
- Check the anchor the next day to ensure it is a permanent anchor.
- The anchor (or anchors) should be fired in exactly the same way every time you link them to the resourceful experience.
- Anchor as the state begins to rise and release just after the peak
- If you do not experience the state when future pacing and especially if you experience anxiety, then stop applying the anchor. (You will anchor the negative state!)
- There is a knowingness which makes anchoring work that is established by the unconscious mind.
- You can strengthen the anchor by repeating the above process over several days.
- If you are in a situation where you experience the desired state in reality, then you can reestablish the anchor to that situation.