Helping Athletes get better results by using the power of the mind is something coaches can be trained to do.
Many great athletes agree that the difference between physical and mental effort in their performances follows the 80:20 Pareto Principle rule. That is – 20% physical effort and 80% mental. Yet many people spend 100% of their training time focused on developing their physical strength and skills. You can however enhance your sports performances by spending even 20% of your training time to develop your mental skills.
Sports performance enhancement helps you achieve the results you want in the fastest possible time by using advanced methods to train your mind. Mind training techniques can help you ensure that every practice or workout is your best, increasing your motivation and determination to stick to a routine, goal setting, eliminating anxiety prior to a competition, and overcoming plateaus. Coaches trained in NLP, Hypnosis and Time Line Therapy(R) can help athletes develop their mental abilities and enhance performance.
High-achievers and peak performers think, act and feel differently from average people. They have superior mental strategies in place that help them learn faster and better and perform to their potential. Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) was created by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in the 1970’s.
Here’s what you can learn from NLP:
Coaches, would you like to be able to help your athletes with the following?
- Pre-Performance Anxiety/Fear—Do your athletes get anxious prior to a game, match, or competition? Each of us starts out the day with a certain amount of energy but if you waste your energy worrying about the competition, your opponents, etc., by the time you are ready to compete, you feel less than your best. I can help you shed those old patterns of behavior including the anxiety and fear, allowing you to compete confidently.
- Confidence/Insecurity—Do you lose motivation or enthusiasm over time? In a team sport, do you find yourself losing your own motivation if the team is playing badly? Do you find your own athletic performance erratic, sometimes good and sometimes bad? Do you worry at times that you are not good enough and lose your confidence? In each of these cases the problem is in your own mind, specifically your unconscious. I can help you reverse these negative thoughts and allow you to perform your best every time.
- Plateaus—Have you found yourself limited in what you think you can accomplish? Have you been working out or practicing and have reached a plateau without any improvement? Sometimes the plateau is in your own mind—you go into your workout or practice thinking that since you have not been able to make any headway, maybe you won’t do any better today. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy preventing you from doing exactly what you want. I can help you overcome your plateau by changing your motivation and limiting beliefs.
- Workout or Practice Intensity/Dedication—Do you find some of your workouts or practices are less than perfect? Each of us has an off day but if you find yourself distracted, losing your focus or motivation, I can help.
- Self-Limiting Conditions—Improving your game, whatever it is, may involve overcoming obstacle or limitation you have inadvertently set for yourself (e.g., “I will never be as good as Bob”; “I can’t do it that way”), eliminating fear or fear of success, following your training program routine, or learning how to focus yourself on your game. My goal is to help you be your best by removing or overcoming these difficulties. I will work with you to determine what you need to do to improve your game and eliminate some mental obstacle and help to improve your training that can help you train more consistently with proper form and to compete successfully.
- Negative Emotions and Limiting Beliefs – We can use Time Line Therapy(R) to get rid of negative emotions such as anger, sadness, fear, hurt, guilt, – clean up past events that are holding the athlete back from peak performance. We can also insert a new belief in the time line, one that is empowering!
If you want learn more, get certified and trained in these modalities and techniques – Please do get in Touch!
To your Health, Results and Success!
Lynn Thier, RHN, PT, Master Coach & Trainer