Are you overweight, tired, depressed, stressed or anxious? Did you know that these are all symptoms of childhood trauma and abuse. Many women much like myself who were sexually abused as children use food as a way of covering up and coping……Many women wear this access weight as a shield.
I was fortunate to be involved in a lot of physical fitness growing up and throughout adulthood. Yes, I’ve struggled with weight, food issues, depression & anxiety for many years. I was put on anti depressants and sleeping pills after a suicide attempt at the age of 15. Now turning 47 years of age, I have been off my daily dose of any anti depressant medication for 3 years thanks to specific techniques like Time Line Therapy(R), Hypnotherapy and also shifting my mindset using some great learnings in NLP.
Why a shield? For individuals who’ve experienced a traumatic event, usually some kind of abuse, their weight helps them create a barrier to the outside. Yes, that layer of protection, even unconsciously…
For some, weight serves to minimize their looks and sexuality. In today’s society, thin is in, and if you don’t fit the mold, in theory, people will pay less attention to you and your body. Some women use their weight as protection against future abuse. According to the Survivors of Incest Anonymous: “If for instance we perceive obesity to be unattractive, and if we believe or were told that we were abused because we were attractive, we may overeat in a misguided yet totally understandable attempt to defend ourselves from further sexual assault.”
Emotional Eating – For some, weight is a consequence of emotional eating. Emotions may become too high-risk. They’ve been through so much already that they’d rather avoid any more hurt. They’d rather push down the depression, anxiety, anger, confusion or pain using food. Others may use alcohol or drugs. They may use food to numb their feelings or soothe their discomfort. Perhaps it started out as a once-in-awhile comforting treat and snow balled into a full-fledged habit: Heading for the fridge or pantry becomes an automatic reaction to upset and anxiety. WE unconsciously eat out of pure habit, before we know it the bag of chips or the tub of ice cream is all gone!
How To Heal – Whether your weight is an intentional barrier, a consequence of emotional eating, hormonal imbalances, bad habits or a bit of everything, the following tips may help:
1. Be open to shifting your habits, mindset development is key. Seek a therapist who is trained in NLP, Time Line Therapy and Hypnotherapy that can help at the conscious and unconscious level to elicit positive changes.
2. Seek out resources and support. Family and friends that are supportive and on board with helping you to make positive shifts in behavior and mindset. A support group, books, workshops of interest on health, wellness, nutrition and fitness
3. Be gentle with yourself, there are no failures, only learning or feedback. Pick one thing per week that you want to work on and focus your attention on what you want-not what you don’t want.
4. Self care. Instead of emotional eating, take a warm bath with Epsom salts and lavender essential oil, get a massage, a pedicure or reflexology…
5. Take time to heal – Heal your heart, your body and soul. Have a Reiki Energy Healing Session or learn self reiki.
6. Let go of Negative emotions, beliefs and decisions using Time Line Therapy. Negative emotions can be gone in as little as 2-4 hours. Get the results you deserve using techniques that work!
If you are looking for coaching and guidance – please do reach out and book a consultation with me. Learn how to take care of yourself, your health and heal so you can thrive in your life. I see clients one on one, via video feed as well so location is no barrier.
About: Lynn Thier will get you there ~ with practical cutting edge methods for making positive shifts & change happen. Owner of Peak Performance Academy, Lynn teaches and consults on how to get mentally fit in sport, business and life. Lynn offers seminars, training’s and programs as well as Board Certifications in NLP Coaching, NLP Techniques, Hypnosis & Time Line Therapy(R).